Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Amazing LP Friday a Few Days Early - The Lazy Cowgirls - Tapping the Source (1987)

Produced by god-like poet and punk rock howler, Chris D. who wound the band's scree into a raunchy ball of righteous bile, The Lazy Cowgirls' second record says summer to me. Not just because the record houses the finest pissy, summer song ever written



but more because it reminds me of the summers of my post adolescence when my cares were less and my frustrations with the world were more focused.  I was a mere 18 years old when the record came out and I was 20 when I finally scored a copy.  The world was my oyster and I did not like seafood.  All the world was a stage, but I could not find where the auditions were being held.  This Lazy Cowgirls record was angry, sad, joyous (the covers of "Yakety Yak" and "Justine" are dance-around-your-apartment-with-drunken-abandonment burners) and, above all, non-stop fucking rock and roll.  Besides the non-stop fucking rock and roll - the other three adjectives were me in the 80s!

The track "Goddamn Bottle"

might be one of the greatest drinking song ever written by a singer that does not sport a cowboy hat.

Today at 42 years of age, I still play this record as loud as possible and dance.  Only not too drunk and not too late in the evening.

Pat Todd is still making music.  His last record was one of the best releases of 2008.  He still writes songs about living, loving, drinking and drugging.  A little wiser and quieter...but...no less arresting, no less powerful than when he was leading one THE BEST rock bands of the 1990s...

No comments:

Post a Comment