Thursday, May 31, 2012

Søren Kierkegaard's Dark Alley

I've noticed that many quotations from Søren Kierkegaard sound like lines from some of the finer hard-boiled, pulp fiction published in the 1950s.


I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations - one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it - you will regret both.



Listen to the cry of a woman in labor at the hour of giving birth - look at the dying man's struggle at his last extremity, and then tell me whether something that begins and ends thus could be intended for enjoyment.

The gods were bored; therefore they created human beings.


There are, as is known, insects that die in the moment of fertilization. So it is with all joy: life's highest, most splendid moment of enjoyment is accompanied by death.












No comments:

Post a Comment