Friday, October 14, 2011

31 Uncanny Bits of Terror for October - Day Fourteen: The Dark Side of Bert Convy

I never have enough time to prepare blog posts. Well, I have the time, but I never use it wisely. About 98% of everything written here is typed out as I sit in my gruesome cubicle on my hour-long lunch break.

I'm far too busy chasing children, reading books, running the vacuum cleaner, washing dishes, picking up legos, swilling beer and watching films at home to sit down and do some good research for a blog post. 

So...the idea for something to write usually occurs after the kids are asleep and I'm in between reading a book or drinking a beer or watching a movie...

What I'm trying to say is most of these posts are better suited to be twitted on Tweeter - a place where a short and sweet bleat of wordage is the only way to go. 

Nine times out of ten, the posts are just jumbles of thoughts that have not quite congealed into something solid.

Not unlike the following:

The germination of this post came from thinking back to the great days of Made-For-TV films of the 1970s.

It was a treat to see the familiar face of  a TV Star (or a quietly fading movie star)  in the cast of these often compelling movies...Telly Savalas, William Shatner, Robert Conrad, Elizabeth Ashley...this list of great faces and quirky mannerisms is endless. 

Nowadays seeing a "guest star" (which is typically some reality TV star) on the tube is like those times when you find an onion ring in your  french fries at Burger King.  It's fun, but, in the big picture, it's just more crap in crap.

But I digress.

The thoughts of Made for TV Films of the 1970s made me think of  Bert Convy.

Photobucket

Convy's ghost once appeared to a  friend and I during an acid trip we took in the mid-90s.  It was mid-December.  His spirit flitted about the leafless branches of  the trees.  The trees pulsated like the synapsis of nerves in our craniums.  My friend turned to me and said,

"The password is: Freakout."

But that is another story.



I began to think about Bert Convy's career and paused when my thoughts traveled back to a time when he was known not as an actor or game show host...but as Bert Convy, the singer.

And that is where the fodder for this post was found.  Dig Bert's wonderful Halloween-tinged single:



and its (my personal fave) b-side:



Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment