Thursday, October 20, 2011

31 Uncanny Bits of Terror for October - Day Twenty: Hilarious Halloween Horrors - Part 4

If I was cornered in a dark alley by a gaggle of brain-eating zombies and they asked:


"What is your all-time favorite Horror/Comedy film?"


I would answer:

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (1985)


It was released the summer before my sophomore year of high school.  I saw it four times in the theatre.  It is the perfect ghoulish mixture of horror and comedy.  The performances of Clu GulagerJames Karen, Don Calfa and Thom Mathews are wonderful.   The soundtrack to the film was a dazzling map to major musical discoveries that changed my life.   I was turned on to 45 Grave, The Flesh Eaters, the solo work of Roky Erickson and a killer non-LP Cramps number via the film's unequalled soundtrack.





I would venture to say that as soundtrack records made up mainly of bands and their tunes go this is the best. OK - the soundtrack to The Harder They Come is pretty damn sweet,too...



But (as usual) I digress...

Of course, there is Linnea Quigley...Her nude dance in the cemetery certainly pushed all the buttons on my sixteen year old brain. Twenty odd years later and my buttons are still being pushed by this one of a kind film.


Horror and Comedy (both drenched in blood) never looked better.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job this week highlighting spookily kooky films, Ormand! You and your readers may be interested in the book I am writing called "Scared Silly: Classic Hollywood Horror-Comedies." You can see my work-in-progress and read some of the reviews that will appear in the book at http://scaredsillybypaulcastiglia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete